Akhtaruzzaman Chowdhury Babu directed the sparkle to the nation by his dedication and sacrificing activities. He was a prominent politician, a courageous freedom fighter and a true patriot. Besides, he was one of the best industrialists in our country. His fighting spirit led the country on the pathway of development. He desired to be close to the ordinary people and achieve love and respect through politics. Akhtaruzzaman Chowdhury Babu was the gem of politics who built his own identity with integrity and liability. He left a footprint of his unconditional love for politics.
The beginning of politics
Akhtaruzzaman Chowdhury Babu was involved in politics from a very young age. In 1958, he joined the “Dakshin Zila Chhatra League” as a standard member while studying in secondary school. Then he joined Awami League in 1967 after completing his graduation. He finally started his journey as a politician from that year.
- Akhtaruzzaman Chowdhury Babu maintained the position of chairman of Haildhar Union Parishad from 1967 to 1975. In 1970, he became a Member of the Provincial Council (MPA). Besides, he was elected a member of the provincial council from West Patia and Anwara.
- He was one of the front-line organizers of the liberation war in 1971. He took the responsibilities of the combat committee during the non-cooperation movement. When Bangabandhu announced the independence of Bangladesh, it was challenging to broadcast it everywhere. So Akhtaruzzaman Babu took the risk and aired the message to Swadhin Bangla Betar Kendra. He conveyed the declaration message from his residence, Jupiter house in Patharghata.
- The temporary Mujibnagar Government designated him the leadership of the Relief and Rehabilitation Committee. He extended his helping hands toward the Bangladeshi immigrants who lived in India, along with his team. He also visited many European and Ameican areas in order to collect support and opinion regarding the liberation war. Finally, he travelled to London, and then America to represent Bangladesh from the team led by Justice Abu Syed Chowdhury.
- Akhtaruzzaman Chowdhury Babu got the opportunity to reform the constitution of 1972. As he had been a member of MPA already, he also became a member of the Bangladesh human beings’ meeting formed in 1972. He held a significant position in drafting the charter of Bangladesh. He helped to compose the constitution of Bangladesh, whereas he also signed the constitution of 1972.
- In 1975, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and his family were murdered brutally. Millions of tears came to the soil of Bangladesh in the grief of the excellent leader of Bengal. After that, internal political conflicts started appearing. Akhtaruzzaman Chowdhury stood beside the political party on the days of misery. He tried to restore the balance by communicating with the leaders and workers. He even risked his life so that he can reorganize the party from scratch. He was one of In the difficult times of the Awami League, he spent his own hard-earned money to maintain stability.
- Akhtaruzzaman Chowdhury Babu got elected Vice-Chairman of a reputable international organization that represents Bangladesh. He became the spokesperson and representative of the business community of Bangladesh. This courageous politician held the chair of the President of the Chittagong Chamber twice.
- In 1986, he was elected a member of Parliament. Additionally, he worked as the Vice-Chairman in ‘77-Jati Group’. He also held the honorary position of President of the OIC Chamber of Commerce.
Akhtaruzzaman Chowdhury Babu was a true political leader with a kind gesture. This post-independence politician stood beside the party permanently. He was a pioneer in building a secular Bangladesh. With the spirit of the liberation war, he took the initiative to build the Awami League afresh.